Monday 4 February 2013

Project Ideas

When I started thinking about project ideas I immediately thought it would be interesting to do some sort of digital family tree.  The majority of my family is from Europe, and I've very much focused my history degree around courses dealing with Western European history.  In addition, I'm interested to find out more about my mom's birth mother's family (my mom was adopted and in recent years we've come to know her birth mother, which has led to meeting dozens of half-aunts/uncles/cousins and siblings we didn't know we had). Therefore, although I'm aware of some of the history from my dad's side and from my moms parents, I now have this whole different blood line I'd love to know more about.
However, thinking about the project more I came up with another idea.  I've always been fascinated with history and never tired listening to my grandfather tell me detailed stories of his years on the front lines during World War Two.  Remembering his stories sparked another idea, one which I'm not sure I'd be able to create and that I'm still trying to work out the details for.  Before he died, he left me a map that shows his path across Europe during the years he fought for the British army.  Starting with where he was trained, it shows the path he sailed to Africa, where he marched through the northern countries and eventually sailed for Sicily, then finally back to the western front. I was thinking I could digitize this map and collect more information on his battalion to perhaps add battles he participated in or other significant events during his involvement in the war.
Just some initial thoughts on my project.  I'm looking forward to doing the research for either one of these topics, should they work, however I do feel a bit nervous translating the information in a "digital" way as this course is my first introduction to it! Nonetheless it will be interesting and a new skill to work on.    

1 comment:

  1. There are lots of family tree projects, but I like the possibilities of your second idea more - look for apps that will help you create timelines, maps and the like. (Also, can you add your surname initial to the blog name somewhere - or a pic so I can distinguish between the two Hayleys!)

    ReplyDelete